Sunday, April 24, 2011

He is Risen!


He is risen! He is risen indeed!

What a glorious day of hope and joy. We have had an amazing week -- it started with our church's "Journey to the Tomb," where families spent time in a Jerusalem market place and then walked on a path through the woods to meet the family who owned the donkey Jesus rode into Jerusalem, the children who lived in the house with the Upper Room, Malchus in the Garden of Gethsemane, the women at the cross who prepared Jesus' body and the gardener who proclaimed the exciting events that first Easter day. Then, we had an amazing Palm Sunday packed with children waving branches and singing "Hosanna." Thursday evening, we attended a Biblical Meal (with Turner) and learned about the last supper and traditions during those times and took communion. Friday at CBS, we listened to the convicting words of the old song, "Were you there when they crucified my Lord?" And today, we sang Alleluia! He is risen!

What an awesome and radical faith we proclaim in Christ Jesus!

Turner and Parker have taken it all in, too.

I would be telling a story if I portrayed our Easter morning as "picture perfect." It began with Parker screaming that he did NOT like his precious madras outfit I had planned for him. He cried and screamed, "Take IT OFF!" until it just wasn't worth it to us. We compromised on another outfit and...(drum roll, please)...Thomas the Train boots. Yes, he wore those to church on Easter. Frankly, the battle just wasn't worth it, and I was definitely LOSING my Easter joy fighting it! :) He looked adorable anyway. Turner was trying to convince him to wear it by saying, "It's ok, Parker. I don't love my dress, either. But, I am wearing it to church and then changing right afterwards!" To which Thomas sarcastically said, "Now THAT'S the Easter spirit: Suffer in your dress through church and have the HOPE that you will get to put on a NEW dress when you get home."

Then, we finally got in the car. Parker said, "Where we goin', Mommy?"

"To church!"

More big tears started rolling. "I not going to church! I don't want to! I want to go to Disney!"

To which Thomas calmly replied (again employing his great sarcasm skills), "Parker, did Mickey Mouse die for your sins on the cross?"

Nice.

So...our morning required a heap of grace and a good sense of humor. Which really is thematic on a day when God's grace was made perfect. Thank you, Jesus, for your sacrifice. And praises that we serve a forgiving, loving, amazing God with a great sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment